As a hybrid mattress, the Oceano from Brentwood Home comes highly recommended for its double-layered coil support and extremely soft, plant-based outer cover. Brentwood Home, a mattress retailer based in L.A., sells mattresses for every type of sleeper. When it comes to hybrid support, their Oceano model is the best choice. If you’re looking for an elevated sleep experience, read on to discover more about the Oceano mattress to see if it could be right for you.
Oceano Pros and Cons at a Glance
– Plant-based cover
– 5-zone coiled support
– Cooling gel memory foam
– Handmade in L.A.
– May feel too firm for some sleepers
– Sleepers who seek pressure relief
– Cooling temperature regulation
|Brentwood Home Oceano Mattress Overview|
|Trial Period||1 Year|
|Firmness Level||Medium to High|
|Sleeper Type||All Sleeping Positions|
|Certifications||CertiPUR-US, Greenguard Gold, Standard 100 by OEKO-TEX, GOTS & GOLS Organic|
- Plant-Based Tencel Cover
- Organic Wool Layer
- Poly-Silk Fiber Layer
- 2″ Cooling Gel-Infused Memory Foam
- 2.5″ Micro Support Coils
- 1″ Cool Air Luxe Foam™
- 8″ 5-Zone Support Coils
- 1″ High-Density Foam
- Cotton Canvas Layer
The materials found in the Oceano mattress are known for being soft and supportive. Oceano mattresses include the following materials:
- Cover: The outermost cover on the Oceano mattress is made with plant-based material and comes in a tencel weave. Its tufted design prevents the mattress from feeling too flat. Soft to the touch, this mattress cover is a comfortable first layer to a medium-firm mattress.
- Organic wool: What’s unique about wool is that it works to adjust to your body temperature throughout the year, no matter what the temperature is outside. So, if you live in a city where all seasonal temperatures occur, the wool in the Oceano mattress will make sure you don’t overheat or go to sleep too cold.
- Individually wrapped coil springs: In the Oceano mattress, sleepers will find two separate layers of coil spring support, one of which contains miniature coils. The zoned coil springs are made in the USA from recycled steel and come with an OEKO-TEX Standard 100 certification.
- Memory foam: Customers who tend to sleep hot are in luck because of the cooling gel-infused memory foam layer. Filled with swirls of gel, this layer of memory foam contours to the sleeper’s body shape and provides optimal pressure-point relief at the same time. As an added bonus, the Oceano mattress comes with a separate foam layer, known as the Serene Cool Air Luxe Foam™ layer. This layer works to create temperature control and moveability at the base of the Oceano mattress.
- Natural poly-silk fiber: For added breathability and softness, this layer is made with natural silk.
- Base: At the very bottom of the Oceano mattress is an organic cotton canvas base, which comes with a Herringbone pattern. This base ensures the mattress’s inner materials stay safe from dirt, dust and bed bugs, all while providing a sturdy structure for every other layer above it.
The Oceano mattress is made of nine layers to create a medium-firm hybrid mattress. Each layer works to create a mattress ideal for customers looking for contouring, pressure-point relief and support. A hybrid mattress, like the Oceano, will bring bouncy support with minimal motion transfer.
At the very top layer, a plant-based tencel fabric covers the mattress. It is made with moisture-wicking capabilities and is both soft and breathable. Just underneath the cover is organic wool, which adjusts to seasonal temperatures so that you don’t get too hot in summer or too cold in winter.
A Hybrid Support System
Hybrid support begins at the Oceano’s third layer. The support coils are separated into five zones so that no matter how you move during your slumber, the coils will contour to your body shape.
Depending on the mattress size you order, Brentwood Home incorporates up to 1,722 coils at the first coil layer. Just underneath that first layer of miniature support coils, comes a layer of larger coils, this time up to 1,544 coils per mattress. The Oceano mattress incorporates a second layer of springs as added responsiveness, which is perfect for sleepers who tend to move around a lot during the night. Here’s a complete breakdown of coil count for each mattress size:
Coil Count Breakdown (Miniature):
- Twin: 798 coils
- Twin XL: 861 coils
- Full: 1,102 coils
- Queen: 1,353 coils
- King: 1,722 coils
- California King: 1,702 coils
- Split King: 1,722 coils
Coil Count Breakdown (Regular):
- Twin: 756 coils
- Twin XL: 772 coils
- Full: 1,016 coils
- Queen: 1,130 coils
- King: 1,414 coils
- California King: 1,384 coils
- Split King: 1,544 coils
Next up comes the temperature regulation. A full layer of cooling gel-infused memory foam allows for optimal pressure-point relief and the prevention of heat buildup. Just below this layer of memory foam comes a layer of poly-silk fiber for even more breathability. As a last layer of pressure-point relief, the seventh layer is made with two inches of cooling foam.
The final two layers of the Oceano mattress create a substantially safe and firm foundation. The eighth layer, made with one inch of CertiPUR-US Certified foam creates an ideal base just before the ninth layer, which consists of an organic cotton base.
When you buy an Oceano mattress from Brentwood Home, the company will build a Relief Bed for a charitable organization. ReliefBed is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides special beds for people in need. Often times, the beds are given to people in homeless shelters or in disaster-ridden areas. Plus, for every mattress sold, Brentwood Home donates to the National Forest Foundation to plant three trees.
The Oceano mattress is not the cheapest mattress around. In fact, it is among the more expensive models from Brentwood Home, but its features justify its price tag.
How much does the Brentwood Home Oceano Mattress Cost?
The Oceano is available at the following price points:
- Twin: $995
- Twin XL: $1,195
- Full: $1,295
- Queen: $1,495
- King: $1,995
- California King: $1,995
- Split King: $2,390
Oceano Report Card
Best Sleeping Positions
As a hybrid mattress, the Oceano from Brentwood Home can work for most sleeping positions. With two layers of coil spring support, the Oceano is ideal for sleepers who need all the motion transfer support they can get.
Side sleepers, who typically sleep best on soft memory foam mattresses, will benefit from Oceano’s multiple memory foam layers. The memory foam layers do not overtake the mattress, but they do create soft tiers for added breathability and airflow.
The Oceano mattress boasts for being a plush, medium-firm hybrid mattress, but some customer reviews counter that point. For back sleepers, a firm mattress is often a non-negotiable factor when it comes to getting a full night’s rest. The Oceano, made with two layers of support coils and a firm base, is ideal for back sleepers, who require firm support for their hips and shoulders. Back sleepers should not worry about waking up with aches and pains with the Oceano mattress.
Similar to back sleepers, the best mattresses for stomach sleepers are firmer. A hybrid mattress is perfect for stomach sleepers, as they rarely permit ample amounts of sinking. Stomach sleepers will benefit from the medium-firm support the Oceano mattress provides.
Because the Oceano comes with two separate layers of coil springs, there is a chance you may hear some squeaking, depending on how frequently you move around in your sleep. Overall noise should be minimal, though.
Overheating should never be a problem with the Oceano mattress. Made with two layers of coil springs and a gel-infused memory foam layer, this mattress provides enough temperature regulation, even for sleepers who tend to wake up in a sweat. If you share a bed or live in a warm climate, you may worry about staying cool enough to fall and stay asleep. The Oceano has nine layers to do the work for you, so you’ll never wake up feeling the need to take a cold shower.
As with any hybrid mattress, the Oceano sinks where your body’s weight hits. As we’ve mentioned before, this model includes two separate coil spring layers to ensure the only major sinking that occurs is where your body’s weight shifts throughout the night. This is particularly ideal for stomach and back sleepers, whose body weight takes up more surface area of the bed.
As a hybrid mattress, you should only feel motion transfer where your body moves. If you prefer a mattress with zero motion transfer, a memory foam model might be better for you.
The Oceano’s 5-Zone Quantum Edge® Combi-Zone® system prevents sleepers from shifting to the edges of the mattress. This system not only creates a safe, slip-proof barrier for sporadic sleepers, but it also promises support to every surface inch.
The Oceano mattress comes with a 25-year warranty. The warranty only covers Brentwood Home mattresses purchased directly from their website.
The Oceano mattress comes with a 1-year trial period. It is recommended to give yourself at least 30 days to fully adjust to your new mattress. So, if you plan on returning your Oceano mattress, make sure you’ve given your body enough time to get used to the feel of a new mattress before you send it back.
Shipping and Delivery
When customers choose the FedEx shipment option, they can expect to receive their Oceano mattress from Brentwood Home in an estimated 7 to 10 business days. All mattresses from Brentwood Home ship out of Los Angeles, where it takes approximately 3 to 5 days to make a mattress.
If customers opt for the White Glove Delivery service for an additional $199 per mattress, Brentwood Home estimates shipping to take about 2 to 3 weeks for people located outside of California. Local Californians, however, can expect delivery with this service to take 1 to 2 weeks. The White Glove Delivery service is ideal for customers who want in-home delivery.
For removal of an old mattress, there is an additional $275 charge per mattress. For White Glove Delivery customers, AGS, Brentwood Home’s delivery partner, will arrange a specified delivery date and time for their service.
If you’ve tried the Oceano mattress but decided it wasn’t for you, you have one year to return it from your purchase date. Brentwood Home will arrange a pick-up date to remove the mattress, drop it off at a nearby charity and refund your money. Brentwood Home suggests customers try their new mattress for at least 30 days to ensure they are allowing enough time for their body to adjust to a new bed.
One of the most notable features of the Oceano mattress model is its certifications:
- GOTS & GOLS Organic: the Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS) and the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) certifications confirm the Oceano mattresses are made in an organic-certified factory. All Brentwood home mattresses are made in California.
- CertiPUR-US®: a CertiPUR-US® certification ensures that all materials, particularly the foams, used to make the mattress are chemical-free and do not use fiber flame retardants.
- Greenguard Gold: Greenguard Gold signifies the mattress meets emissions standards, which means it has low emissions, and in turn, is better for the consumer and the environment.
- Standard 100 by OEKO-TEX®: the Oceano mattress comes with wool, and this certification ensures it is free from harmful substances.
Review Summary & Ideal Customer Breakdown
Purchasing a new mattress is an investment, so you want to be sure you are making the right decision. Based on our research, we’ve come up with a quick breakdown of who we believe would enjoy sleeping on Brentwood Home’s Oceano mattress and who wouldn’t.
We think you’d enjoy an Oceano mattress if:
An Oceano mattress may not be the best for you if:
Points to Consider Before You Buy
The Oceano mattress from Brentwood Home is a hybrid mattress. If you’re accustomed to sleeping on a memory foam mattress, it may take some time for you to get used to a mattress with coil spring support. Worst case scenario, you may decide the Oceano is not for you.
Brentwood Home offers matching Oceano pillows in standard size for added hybrid support. If you are in need of a new mattress foundation, you can also select the appropriate size and model during checkout.
Most frequent brand questions
Brentwood Home started in 1987 in Los Angeles, California, and Vy Nguyen is currently the company’s CEO.
With so many bed in a box models on the market, it can be difficult for consumers to decide which one is right for them. Important points to consider before purchasing one include: budget, mattress structure and company overview. Consumers should look carefully at each company’s manufacturing process, as well as the various models they offer. To save money, consumers can wait for mattress companies’ to release special deals, which usually occur around holidays.
Brentwood Home’s notability rests in its stance on protecting the environment and society’s most vulnerable by contributing to various charitable organizations with every purchase their customers make. Even more, Brentwood Home offers mattresses of all structures and prices, so customers of all kinds can find a mattress that will work.