- The Top 3 Extra Firm Mattresses:
- The Best Extra Firm Mattresses
- 1. Plank by Brooklyn Bedding
- 2. The Saatva HD Mattress
- 3. PlushBeds Natural Latex Mattress: The Natural Bliss
- 4. The Idle Dunlop Latex
- 5. Keetsa Tea Leaf Classic
- 6. Helix Twilight Mattress
- 7. Zinus 10 Inch Support Plus Pocke Hybrid Mattress
- 8. Ashley Furniture Signature Design – 12 Inch Chime Express Memory Foam Mattress
- 9. Sealy Response Performance 11-Inch Firm Tight Top Mattress
- 10. Wayfair Sleep 10.5″ Firm Hybrid Mattress
- 11. Chime 12″ Ultra Plush Hybrid Mattress
- 12. Freels 9″ Innerspring Firm Mattress
- Buyer’s Guide
- Sleep Position
- Side Sleepers
- Back Sleepers
- Stomach Sleepers
- Combination Sleepers
- Body Type
The Top 3 Extra Firm Mattresses:
If you prefer resting on an extra firm mattress at night, you’d know that there are several benefits from this kind of bed. When you rest on a firmer surface, it allows your body to maintain a more natural alignment, meaning there is less stress placed on you overall.
Plus, the best extra firm mattress will keep your lower back from sagging, in turn providing more oxygen intake than a softer sleeping surface.
Especially if you’re a stomach sleeper or a back sleeper, the best hard and firm beds help give you the support you need to feel comfortable in these sleeping positions.
The best firm mattresses out there offer maximum support and comfort that you might need so that you can wake up feeling refreshed and ready to take on your day.
These mattresses are usually reserved for those that sleep on their back or stomach. Side sleepers need additional pressure relief as their weight distribution is more concentrated through the shoulders and hips.
Finding the best extra firm mattresses on the market that’s firm enough for you can be a lengthy process. For that reason, we’ve rounded up some of our top picks from reviews so you can really find your perfect fit with ease.
We’ve sorted through all of the must-know information about the best extra firm mattresses in order to find the best high-quality beds out there.
After sorting through thousands of reviews, read on to discover the best extra firm mattresses on the market that we’ve found for you!
The Best Extra Firm Mattresses
Plank by Brooklyn Bedding is a two-sided mattress – one side is ‘firm’ (rated as a 7.5 out of 10 on the firmness scale) and the other side is ‘ultra firm’ (rated as a 9.5-10 on the firmness scale).
The ‘ultra firm’ side of the Plank is the firmest, flattest mattress experience available today. It is designed to have as little sinkage as possible while offering some pressure point relief.
Plank by Brooklyn Bedding provides the sleepers with a firm and flat flippable surface so that their spine remains aligned during the whole night. It is specifically designed for back and stomach sleepers who want a mattress that is firm enough to provide support to their whole body.
The goal of the Plank is to prevent that sinking feeling that is present in many mattresses.
You have the option to add a cooling panel to both sides of the Plank mattress. If selected, the cooling panel is sewn into the top layer of the firm and ultra firm sides. It does not alter the comfort or firmness level but has unique cooling properties that will help hot sleepers.
This mattress is backed by a 10-year warranty, and also the company offers a 120-night risk-free trial. This trial period will help you make sure that the firm option of this bed is one that you like and want to keep.
If you’re looking for the best extra firm mattress that will provide unrivaled support to heavier sleepers then the Plank by Brooklyn Bedding is the way to go.
*Warning – this mattress is the firmest of the firm, it may take several nights for your body to adapt. Many people start with the firm side and graduate to the ultra-firm side once they have adapted.
- Comprises of the optional cooling panel on both the sides
- Has a dual-comfort design
- Offers two variations where the top firm side of the bed while the bottom side is ultra-firm
- Backed by a 10-year warranty
- The company offers a 120-night risk-free trial period
- Available in every size imaginable, even RV sizes
- Extra firm mattress queen size price – $1019.20
- Offers a unique firmness level
- Keeps your spine aligned during the whole night
- It enhances the blood flow and provides better support
- Affordable price
The Saatva HD Mattress is a luxury hybrid innerspring that is made specifically for people who weigh between 300 and 500 pounds. The Saatva HD Mattress keeps the sleepers comfortable by its plushy upper layers and high-end durable coil base. This medium-firm mattress provides firm support to all the sleepers.
This mattress feels like a more firm option than It features patented Spinal Zone active wire which provides support in the center third of the mattress. The 5-zone Talalay latex provides maximum pressure-point relief to the sleepers.
It features breathable layers of organic cotton, natural latex, and open coils to regulate the flow of air so that you can have a cool sleep. It is made using tempered 12.5-gauge steel coils that are 25% stronger and ensure that it does not sag or dip. Moreover, this bed also offers a trial period of 180 nights of a home trial. This trial period offers a solution that will help you make sure the mattress firmness is right for you as well as making sure the brands information matches up the quality of the product.
- Equipped with plushy uppers layers
- Features a high-end durable coil base
- It comes with a 5-zone Talalay latex
- Consists of breathable layers of organic cotton, natural latex, and open coils
- Consists of 25% stronger tempered 12.5-gauge steel coils
- Features patented Spinal Zone active wire
- Available in twin, full, queen, king, and more sizes
- Provides firm support to all sleepers
- The breathable layers of organic cotton, natural latex, and open coils regulate airflow to keep you cool
- It will neither dip nor sag
- The patented Spinal Zone Active Wire provides support to the center third of the mattress
- Provides maximum pressure-point relief
This next mattress by PlushBeds is made by using the finest quality of 100% natural latex. Unlike traditional foam beds, this product is manufactured without any blends, synthetics, or chemicals.
This mattress features stretch GOTS certified natural cotton cover which is vegan, wool-free, and animal-free. It’s also GOTS, Oeko-Tex Standard 100, and GreenGuard Gold certified.
The soft-knitted material made from natural cotton offers unrestricted airflow and absorbs the moisture so that you can sleep cool and dry. Since this outer shell is made from natural cotton, it means that the cotton is grown without any harmful pesticides or herbicides.
Moreover, it also features an Eco Fire Barrier made up of natural plant fibers that will keep you safe, healthy, and secure.
The comfort layer made up of natural latex enhances the pressure relief and serves as a soothing support layer for your shoulders and hips when you lay down on this natural foam latex mattress, allowing you to wake up feeling like you’re well-rested and pain-free.
The Arpico organic latex support layer provides maximum support to keep your spine aligned and provides relief from pains and aches.
- Is OTS, Oeko-Tex Standard 100 and GreenGuard Gold certified
- Made from a high-quality natural latex
- This product includes a stretch GOTS certified organic cotton outer shell
- Features an Eco Fire Barrier made from natural plant fibers
- Consists of a comfort layer made from natural latex
- Equipped with Arpico organic latex support layer
- Available in twin, twin Xl, full, quen, split queen, king, split king, California king, and split California king
- The cover is vegan, wool-free and animal-free
- The cotton used for making the cover is grown without harmful pesticides and herbicides
- The comfort layer of the mattress serves as the soothing support layer for the shoulder and hips
- It will keep your spine aligned
- Provides relief from back pain and aches
- Does not consist of any blends, synthetics, and chemicals
The Idle Dunlop Latex mattress is eco-friendly and made from 100% natural cotton and latex. No glue or harmful toxins have been used in the making of this mattress. Moreover, this mattress is one that is handmade, hypoallergenic, dust-mite resistant, and anti-microbial.
Contrary to typical memory foam, this mattress uses Buoyancy Foam that offers 400% more comfort to you and prevents aches and back pain.
Unlike a traditional innerspring mattress, this mattress features 1000 smart coils that provide you with firm support and help to relieve pressure from your body.
It also offers motion isolation and extra support so that it’s a great option for a sleeping surface for people looking for a bed for both themselves and their partner.
Another feature of this mattress that makes it our number one pick is its double-sided mattress feature, making it great for long-term use. After using the mattress for an extended period of time, you can simply flip it over to make it feel brand new.
- Made from natural materials like cotton and latex
- This mattress features Buoyancy Foam
- It is equipped with 1000 smart support coils
- Available in twin and twin XL size, full size, queen size, and king, California king, and split-king size
- It is eco-friendly
- Offers maximum support to your body
- Relieves you from back pain
- It is hypoallergenic and safe for allergy sufferers
- Is dust-mite resistant, and anti-microbial
The Keetsa Tea Leaf Classic is a firm iCoil mattress that features 5″ of supportive and responsive BioFoam and Comfort Foam layer.
This mattress comes with a smooth, and durable linen blend cover that is softer than ones that other mattresses include, and it’s certified by STANDARD 100 by Oeko-Tex.
The cotton fabric used in this best firm mattress does not consist of any harmful chemicals and is also treated for fire safety. The fiberfill promotes and regulates the airflow and wicks away moisture.
It features three layers of a highly responsive foam that diffuse the pressure points. The foam used in this mattress perfectly conforms to your shape.
- Consists of 5″ of supportive and responsive BioFoam and Comfort Foam layer
- Comes with a linen blend cover that is certified by STANDARD 100 by Oeko-Tex
- Features three layers of a highly-responsive foam
- The linen blend cover makes this mattress soft, smooth and durable
- Free of any harmful chemicals
- The highly-responsive foam diffuses the pressure points
- The memory foam perfectly conforms to your shape
- Affordable price
The Helix Twilight Mattress provides you with a comfortable sleep with no harmful chemicals. This best extra firm mattress is CertiPUR-US and Oeko-Tex Standard 100 certified. This mattress in a box is soft to touch and regulates the airflow.
The layers of Memory Plus Foam and Helix Dynamic Foam provide maximum pressure relief. The individual coils not only cradle your body but also consist of a reinforced perimeter that provides edge support on the outside of the mattress.
This mattress comes with a soft-to-touch mattress cover that regulates the airflow. This mattress is infused with a special Helix blend that gives this mattress a firm feel.
The transition layer of this mattress is equipped with higher IFD that will perfectly match your body. It provides ergonomic support and cushioning to your body.
The hundreds of individual materials cradle your body and limit the motion transfer. Reinforced perimeters provide edge support to this mattress. The bottom of the mattress possesses a foam layer that enhances the base support and makes this firm mattress extremely durable.
- It is CertiPUR-US and Oeko-Tex Standard 100 certified
- Consists of layers of Memory Plus Foam and Helix Dynamic Foam
- Is equipped with individually wrapped coils
- Has reinforced perimeters
- Comes with a soft mattress cover
- Does not consist of any harmful chemicals
- It is extremely soft to touch
- The mattress cover is responsible for regulating the airflow
- The special Helix Blend gives it a firm feel
- Offers ergonomic support and cushioning to the body
- The individually wrapped coils minimize the motion transfer
- Affordable price
This is one of the world’s best firm mattresses which 10% more heavy gauge steel iCoil pocket innerspring as compared to regular mattresses with iCoil pocket innerspring.
These plush iCoil pocket innerspring provide enhanced stability and firmness. This mattress is best suited for stomach sleepers and people of a larger size. It consists of a 1.2″ soft comfort level, 1″ durable high-density foam, and 7.5″ motion-isolating iCoil pocket springs and comes with a quilted jacquard cover that makes for a product that people are sure to really like.
The best thing about this extra firm mattress is that all the materials used in this mattress are CertiPUR-US certified which means it has enhanced durability, and performance.
The technology used in this mattress allows it to be easily compressed and shipped. Moreover, it comes back to its original shape within 72 hours. This twin firm bed supports a weight of up to 250lbs and is backed by a 10-year warranty.
- Equipped with heavy gauge steel iCoil pocket innerspring
- Equipped with 1.2″ soft comfort foam, 1″ durable high-density foam and 7.5″ motion-isolating iCoil pocket springs
- It is CertiPUR-US certified
- Backed by a 10-year warranty
- Best suited for people with a weight of up to 250lbs and stomach and plush-sized sleepers
- Offers enhanced stability and firmness
- Comes back to its original shape within 72 hours
This queen-size firm bed from Ashley Furniture ensures that you have a deep and restful sleep. This mattress is equipped with body-contouring memory foam. It consists of multiple layers of memory foam that provide firm support to the firm beds and pressure relief.
This memory foam mattress has an ultra-plush feel. The foam core used in this mattress eliminates motion transfer for an undistributed and restful sleep.
The material that has been used for making this is hypoallergenic and keeps the dust mites, mold, pollen, and pet dander away. Also, it is best suitable for kids and individuals who are suffering from allergies.
This queen-sized firm bed measures 59″ x 79″ x 12″ and can be used with almost all of the bed frames. Sleeping on this mattress is extremely safe but it takes around 72 hours for this mattress to fully expand and dissipate the residual odors.
- It is equipped with body-contouring memory foam
- This queen-sized firm bed measure 59″ x 79″ x 12″
- It consists of multiple layers of memory foam
- Consists of a support foam core
- Provides you with firm support and pressure relief
- The material used for making this mattress is hypoallergenic and keeps the dust mites, mold, pollen, and pet dander away
- It is best suitable for kids and individuals who are suffering from allergies
- This mattress is extremely safe to sleep on
This extra firm mattress from Sealy is designed to give you a comfortable and restful sleep than a traditional mattress. It consists of fabric-encased materials that respond to your move.
Moreover, it also has an additional foam that offers a foundation to your body especially the spine. It has been manufactured side by side with the help of some orthopedic specialists.
The exclusive technology used in this mattress targets the heaviest part of your body and gives it added care so that you can enjoy a restful sleep.
It comprises of reinforced coil borders on the perimeter that increases the durability of this mattress and offers more sleeping area and better seating edge. It also comes with a breathable protective cover that keeps the mattress fresh by wicking away the moisture.
- The mattress is equipped with fabric-encased materials
- It comprises of reinforced coil borders
- Also features an additional foam layer
- Uses an exclusive technology to target heavy part of your body
- Comes with a breathable mattress cover
- The protective cover wicks away moisture from the mattress
- Gives you a restful and comfortable sleep
- The reinforced coil borders increase the durability of this mattress and provide more sleeping area and better seating edge
- The fabric-encased construction perfectly responds to your move
Wayfair Sleep 10.5″ Firm Hybrid Mattress combines two leading sleep technologies so that you can have a good night’s sleep. This mattress comprises of wrapped materials that provide orthopedic features and minimize motion transfer. The multiple layers inside this bed offer a firm feel and keep your spine aligned.
Moreover, the good breathable construction of this mattress and low motion transfer capability will keep you cool and steady throughout the night. It also comes with a quilted cover for the firm mattress that offers a great level of softness. This mattress is backed by a 10-year warranty.
- Equipped with two leading sleep technologies
- Consists of individual materials
- Features multiple layers of comfortable material
- Comes with a quilted mattress cover
- It is backed by a 10-year warranty
- Features a breathable construction of the medium-firm mattress
- Has a motion transfer capability
- The individual materials provide an orthopedic foundation and minimize the motion transfer
- The multiple layers provide these mattresses firm textures it also keeps your spine aligned
- The cover offers extra softness to this medium-firm mattress
- The breathable construction of this medium-firm mattress keeps you cool
- Helps relieve pain
Want to enjoy a good night’s sleep? This best firm hybrid innerspring mattress might be a great fit for you. It consists of materials that deliver pressure point relief and contours your body.
It consists of a high-density material that offers extra firmness to this mattress. The gel memory foam layer offers an added foundation to keep your lower back and spine aligned. For most levels of beds comfort, it can feel like it’s not enough, even though there are added materials to each comfort layer.
The material used in manufacturing this hypoallergenic product makes this mattress suitable for allergy sufferers. This mattress comes in a box for quick and easy setup so all you have to do is to bring it to your room, cut the plastic wrap, and unroll it. This mattress expands fully within a matter of minutes.
- Features a high-density foam
- Also consists of a gel memory foam layer
- It is hypoallergenic which makes this mattress suitable for allergy sufferers
- Offers an extra foundation to keep your lower back and spine aligned
- Features high-density foam which makes the mattress extra firm
- Delivers pressure point relief and contours your body
Freels 9″ Innerspring Firm Mattress offers a luxurious sleep surface so that you can have a restful sleep. The inner components of Freels 9″ Innerspring mattress of a higher firmness are surrounded by 2 protective fire-resistant barriers.
The tight top layer of this high firmness mattress will keep you comfortable and relaxed. The two high-density layers, one of 1.18″ 22D layer and one of .8″ 20D layer perfectly balances the firmness of the top layer of the mattress that you need.
The high-density memory foam top layer as well as the other gel-infused layers provide extra cushion to this mattress making it much more comfortable and distribute the weight evenly so that you don’t feel any stress.
The 13 gauge pocket coil system supplies, provide a structural foundation and durability to the mattress that you need and minimize the motion transfer.
Encased in individual pockets every spring of the pocket coil system moves on its own. This ensures that you are sleep is not disturbed by your partner’s motion. All of these features make this bed a great choice for each kind of sleeper.
- Comprises of 13 gauge pocket coil system
- Equipped with two high-density foam layers, one of 1.18″ 22D layer and one of .8″ 20D layer
- The inner components are surrounded by 2 protective fire-resistant barriers
- Features high-density memory foam layers
- Memory foam layers of the mattress provide extra cushion
- Extremely comfortable ad distributes the weight evenly
- Every spring of the pocket coil system is encased in individual pockets to minimize the motion transfer
- Extremely durable mattress
When it’s time to replace your old mattress with the best new mattress, there are several must-have features to keep in mind. From the edge support, the mattress it offers to its motion isolation properties, the best firm beds have all of the features you might need to get the sleep of your dreams.
There are two primary factors that play a key role in determining your personal preference of firmness: your bodyweight and your sleeping position. Most people with a weight of more than 230 pounds typically prefer an extra firm mattress, so that they don’t sink into the product while they sleep, in turn damaging their spinal alignment as well as experiencing overheating.
Feeling extra body heat throughout your sleep in your bed can make for an uncomfortable experience, so it’s important that you get a firmer mattress that avoids this.
The type of sleeping position you use also makes a large difference in the level of firmness you desire. Usually, a firmer bed is best suited for back and stomach sleepers, as they provide extra backing as you sleep.
If you sleep in other positions besides these, it’s important to keep in mind if an extra firm mattress from different brands is the best option for you. Also, a pillow top bed is a great firm option for back sleepers because a pillow top bed feels like you get a higher foundation for your neck to rest on which will help create a beneficial surface for your sleep needs.
The sleeping position of an individual determines the top level of firmness their mattress should have. This information will help you get the mattress you want for each sleepers different needs.
Side sleepers require unique features in a mattress because their position puts a large amount of stress on their hips, back, and shoulders. If a bed is too firm, it can make out to be problematic for side sleepers because it may impact their key points such as hips and shoulders.
Especially for those with a weight below 130 pounds, firmer beds may not make a great option.
If you’re of this lighter weight, you may want to consider a medium-firm bed, as the different firmness level may feel better on you to help you get the proper sleep you need. But, each sleeper is different, so the best firm mattresses may be suitable for them, depending on their wants and needs.
If you sleep on your back, you’d know that there is quite a lot of pressure placed on you overall. For this reason, you might like and need a bed that really offers a level of firmness that’s fit for you.
With the best mattress that is unsupportive or too soft, it’s likely that you can wake up and feel back pain. Because of this, an extra firm bed may be the perfect choice for you to get, as it prevents your midsection from sagging into a U-shape, in turn providing the comfort you need.
Similarly to back sleepers, stomach sleepers also need a similar kind of extra-firm foundation to rest on. An extra firm bed helps stomach sleepers from sinking into their mattress, in turn preventing their back from feeling sore when they wake up in the morning.
These firm and extra supportive mattresses feel like you get the proper spinal alignment to avoid feeling back pain when you wake up. These foam mattresses provide a firmer feel and are a great option for those who sleep on their stomach, compared to a softer bed.
These foam mattresses also are great if you want a firmer and medium-hard bed rather than a softer bed.
Sleepers who constantly shift their positions while throughout the night often prefer to use an extra firm mattress if they spend most of their time sleeping on their back or stomach.
With the best extra firm mattress, combination sleepers can more easily switch positions as they rest, making it a firm mattress a great option for people who tend to toss and turn in bed.
Your body type and bodyweight play a key role in selecting a new mattress that suits your wants and needs. The more a person weighs, the more pressure they will put on the mattress.
That’s why heavier people sink into a bed with less firmness level. People with a weight of fewer than 130 pounds, a firm bed is quite hard but people who are more than 230 pounds a firm bed proves to be comfortable. So in short, the higher the weight of the person, their preference for a firm mattress increases.
What is the best firm mattress?
The best firm mattress is the one that offers extra support, comfortable, relieves pressure and back pain, and most importantly it keeps the spine aligned.
Back pain is a common issue that one can experience without getting a new mattress that’s different than their old one.
So, which is the best extra firm mattress for you? With this information, you might find the perfect bed that you are looking for and want to add to your bedroom essentials. When it comes to looking for which mattresses are best for your sleeping needs, make sure to consider the different firmness levels that each mattress offers.
Whether it’s a softer surface or a medium-firm feel, each level of different firmness level can provide you what you want depending on the type of different bed you’re looking for.
If you know the firmness type of your mattress even then there are several points which you should be considering when purchasing a mattress. Well, this guide will answer all of your questions that an individual may face when he has gone for shopping the best extra firm mattress.
Also, this guide includes some of the best mattresses from brands that are available in the market. Beds with the firmness of medium or higher are a great option for stomach and back sleepers.
One thing you should remember is that an extra-firm mattress is not suitable for every person. These beds may be beneficial for back sleepers or those who prefer sleeping on their stomach or are heavy.
To make the most out of your purchase you should ensure that the model you are selecting either has denser foam because it maintains the shape of the mattress or it is equipped with a solid steel unit that makes this extra-firm mattress feel firm.
Based on thousands of reviews, the list of the top mattresses that have made our list is sure to be ones that you like.